19 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Yeah that's right Sanguine, the Metal thread is going up first. Suck it. >.>

Discussion of Metallica is verboten. The only musical entities I've seen derail more threads were the Beatles and Lady GaGa.
Seriously everyone knows about them and we've all heard the shit thrown around so it's not like we're gonna learn anything new.

I'm generally open to almost all genres of music, but what I put in my itunes tends to be metal and its derivatives. I admit to having pretty much the worst taste in the world, but I love it too much to want to change.

I don't know many people that listen to metal, and the ones I do tend to prefer much, much heavier stuff than I can stand (Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer), so a lot of bands I find I managed to get through Last.fm. I've had a lot of success with this but am always looking for more stuff I may not know about.

Some recent additions: Deadlock, which quickly overtook Arch Enemy for my favorite female-fronted metal band. They'll throw crazy shit like a saxophone or a techno breakdown in halfway through a song and I fucking love it. Chick has a great voice, they could drop the male singer and I wouldn't miss it at all. They also have a song about Seal Clubbing. Only in metal~

Be'lakor is an Australian group that sounds like a metal version of the LOTR soundtrack. They remind me of Amon Amarth at times, but much more atmospheric and a lot more energy into the main riffs. One of my new favorite bands, there are 0 songs on both their albums I'd skip.

Dead by April is...okay you caught me it's emo gonna go cry nows. 🙁 I still think they're pretty good for an emo band, a lot more musical depth than I've come to expect from the genre

Posted : 16/09/2010 12:30 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Hmm, lessee. Let's contribute by adding a bit of Power Metal And Melodical Power Metal to the thread for those who enjoy something similar.

Warning! This might cause permanent brain damage and confusion.

Either way, back onto the topic, there are two different sides to Power Metal. One that derives from America, which is also considered mostly extinct. I will leave that in peace since I honestly don't know much of the branch, though I will try to post at least one exameple. And of course European Power Metal which is considered the main branch as the genre moved over mostly to the continent of Europe.

Some examples:

Kamelot - The Haunted - Now if I understood correctly, this is considered as American Power Metal.

And as for European...

DragonForce - Black winter Night - English Power Metal. It's considered as Power Metal/Speed Metal though i would go so far as to add Symphonic Power Metal to the list.

Royal Jester - Night is Young - Swedish Power Metal was it now?

Soulitude - Prince of War - Spanish Power Metal!

Dragonland - Supernova - Swedish Symphonic Power Metal!

Luca Turilli - Demon Heart - Italian Symphonic Power Metal. If you know Rhapsody(Rhapsody of Fire now?) then Luca Urilli is the composer and guitarist.

Should suffice for first taste. And do corect me should I have made a mistake somewhere.

Posted : 16/09/2010 4:22 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Hehehe, you are not alone, brothers, on the metal battlefield 🙂
I listen to a lot of gothic/symphonic metal, so here are some of my favorite bands:

Therion, Epica, After forever, Sirenia, Leave's eyes, Sins of thy beloved

Though when I have the chance to be putting the music, I would go with Rammstein, Korn, Disturbed, Iron Maiden and others.

Posted : 16/09/2010 8:30 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Ooh Sirenia is good. <3 Let's not forget Within Temptation, Avantasia and the mother of all that is epic Nightwish! Nightwish with Tarja Turunen of course!

And I see you're going for 'old school' titles. Which is by far the best and unspoiled. <3

Posted : 16/09/2010 8:37 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Ooh Sirenia is good. <3 Let's not forget Within Temptation, Avantasia and the mother of all that is epic Nightwish! Nightwish with Tarja Turunen of course!

And I see you're going for 'old school' titles. Which is by far the best and unspoiled. <3

Hehehe, true 😀
Nightwish without Tarja is like a ....hmmm...furry without his cookie?
Didn't fill too many titles in the list 🙂 Was just for starters.

P.S. Quotes work fine as well 🙂

Posted : 16/09/2010 5:49 pm
Cresil Violet
(@cresil)
Member Admin

Hehehe, you are not alone, brothers, on the metal battlefield 🙂
I listen to a lot of gothic/symphonic metal, so here are some of my favorite bands:

Therion, Epica, After forever, Sirenia, Leave's eyes, Sins of thy beloved

Though when I have the chance to be putting the music, I would go with Rammstein, Korn, Disturbed, Iron Maiden and others.

I Love Therion! However I just found Kamelot and after briefly having a taste of their stuff I think once I take time to listen to everything... I may have a new favorite gaudy metal band. I used to raid to Therion when I was playing WoW. :rolleyes:

Posted : 16/09/2010 11:53 pm
Mavi
 Mavi
(@mavi)
Member Moderator

dudes....Opeth, end of story

Posted : 17/09/2010 12:33 am
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

My friends are really into Kamelot and similar stuff, I usually go a bit heavier than they like. We almost saw Kamelot in DC last week but the concert got cancelled 🙁

I'm already feeling a bit like an outsider with so much power metal discussion >.> I do like it from time to time, Blind Guardian is pretty bitchin. I guess power metal is a favorite in the fandom, hehe.

Posted : 17/09/2010 1:58 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Seems so. By the way here is one more band to the list:

Nightingale

Let's not forgot favorites like: Nirvana, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Scorpions,etc. 😀

Posted : 17/09/2010 3:58 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Oh The Scorpions are awesome!

I don't like too many with AC/DC, but give me some Thunderstruck and we got something! 😀

Posted : 17/09/2010 6:58 am
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Seems so. By the way here is one more band to the list:

Nightingale

Let's not forgot favorites like: Nirvana, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Scorpions,etc. 😀

Nivana is not metal D<

I love some Judas Priest though. AC/DC I have an inexplicable aversion to. I don't know why I hate them, but I do D:.

So far I've only been to one metal concert, Megadeth. It was fucking awesome, they only had this tiny little stage at a Richmond night club and still rocked it. I dunno if its all metalheads or megadeth fans in general, but the mosh pit was both brutal and friendly. Sorry I elbowed you in the temple, lemme help you up bro!

Posted : 17/09/2010 11:52 am
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Nivana is not metal D<

I love some Judas Priest though. AC/DC I have an inexplicable aversion to. I don't know why I hate them, but I do D:.

So far I've only been to one metal concert, Megadeth. It was fucking awesome, they only had this tiny little stage at a Richmond night club and still rocked it. I dunno if its all metalheads or megadeth fans in general, but the mosh pit was both brutal and friendly. Sorry I elbowed you in the temple, lemme help you up bro!

Try a Rammstein concert 😉 All the fire and flames. here is a link from the last one I was: Benzin

Nirvana might not be officialy, but work really well in the same playlist with the rest 😀

Posted : 17/09/2010 6:38 pm
Mavi
 Mavi
(@mavi)
Member Moderator

man you guys are all about the old metal. anyone here listen to the newer stuff too?

Posted : 18/09/2010 8:03 pm
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

man you guys are all about the old metal. anyone here listen to the newer stuff too?

Pretty much every band I listen to now formed in the '00s so yeah.

Posted : 18/09/2010 8:18 pm
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

Sure do, even though I am an old school fan mainly.

Posted : 20/09/2010 12:23 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: