Making Games

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Keres Clawtooth
(@keres-clawtooth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

:yay: I've always wondered about this and this is one of my biggest dreams; to become a Game Designer. I was wondering if anyone here knew about making games (from scratch even).

Me and a friend already have lots of concept art, storylines and lots of data to use for making a game. The only thing lacking is knowledge of how to make the game (RPG).

Where's a bowingdown smiley when you need it.

Teach me sensei~! Whoever you will be :v

It's Rape Keres Day!!!!
Keres' FurAffinity go!

Posted : 25/09/2010 7:08 pm
Keres Clawtooth
(@keres-clawtooth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I already know some basic programming languages like C and stuff, I just have no idea how to start making games.

It's Rape Keres Day!!!!
Keres' FurAffinity go!

Posted : 25/09/2010 10:52 pm
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin

Well...

okay your criteria is incredibly broad here so it makes it difficult to explain exactly what's needed and how to do what. But i'll still try and help.

So lets say the design part is mostly taken care of, you have a vision for the game and pretty set on it. Before you start writing code, you need to figure out what engine you'll use. For small projects, flash is pretty popular, but limits you to 2D. There are 3D engines out there as well, from free indie versions to industry standards. Lets assume you use flash, then learn your actionscript to actually write the code.

From that, you have to code the battle systems, menu system, overworld map, include the art assests, include the story, music cues, animation cycles, controls, event based scripts in story, collision detection, health/mana/spell/attacks/monster data, ect. ect.

Then when that's done, DEBUG THE SHIT OUT OF IT. Seriously this will drive you insane.

Finally, publish. That's about what goes into all of it.

Posted : 25/09/2010 11:27 pm
Keres Clawtooth
(@keres-clawtooth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well...

okay your criteria is incredibly broad here so it makes it difficult to explain exactly what's needed and how to do what. But i'll still try and help.

So lets say the design part is mostly taken care of, you have a vision for the game and pretty set on it. Before you start writing code, you need to figure out what engine you'll use. For small projects, flash is pretty popular, but limits you to 2D. There are 3D engines out there as well, from free indie versions to industry standards. Lets assume you use flash, then learn your actionscript to actually write the code.

From that, you have to code the battle systems, menu system, overworld map, include the art assests, include the story, music cues, animation cycles, controls, event based scripts in story, collision detection, health/mana/spell/attacks/monster data, ect. ect.

Then when that's done, DEBUG THE SHIT OUT OF IT. Seriously this will drive you insane.

Finally, publish. That's about what goes into all of it.

Well, I'm considering 3D. I heard about OGRE3D and stuff; but in general I simply want to make games be it 2D or 3D.

Can you direct me to any resources/tutorial sites?
Or tell me of must-reads and must-knows.

Please and thank you :3

It's Rape Keres Day!!!!
Keres' FurAffinity go!

Posted : 25/09/2010 11:58 pm
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin

I can't really answer most of the questions since I'm not an actual game developer (I did get signed on for a student game development project this year...to do art...D: ). However, take a look in these links and the pages they link to for more information that I could possibly give you on my own:

Making Games: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122#post337034285
Industry Related Stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302351&pagenumber=1

Posted : 26/09/2010 1:06 am
sack_raptor
(@sack_raptor)

first off do you have elder scrolls 4:oblivion for comp and if yes you can use the game mod tools for practice before you really go to actuley make a game from scratch it's kinda like a realy fucking detailed lego set (drag, drop, script, create, done ^^ )

you must have oblivion on ur compfirst otherwise you'll have nothing to work with it's like trying to play with legos...but someone stole all the legos in the container.

you can find the oblivion construction set is here, you want the one that says: TES CONSTRUCTION SET v1.2.404
the link to get it is here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_utilities.htm

and here is a wiki site to get you started with it ^^
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Main_Page

have fun and plz try not to fuck up the game too much when ur useing the construction set cause you only have one copy of the master file unless you remove oblivion then reinstall it to refresh the game itself to give you a COMPLEATLY clean slate but be carefull, it doesn't always work, there is a risk of overwriteing your disc.

Posted : 27/09/2010 11:17 pm
Dead
 Dead
(@deleted)
Estimable Member

For first runs, I would recommend RPG maker:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

This will allow you to put some RPG game ideas into an actual game without TOO much hassle. You can add custom animation,sounds,etc.

Posted : 28/09/2010 2:46 pm
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin

RPG Maker, MUGEN, SC2s map editor, Morrowind mods, ect. are all very good starting places for creating games. Highly recommend experimenting with them, if nothing else than for a test of being able to deal with trial-and-error and to show extreme perseverance to see a project through to the end.

Posted : 28/09/2010 3:24 pm
Cresil Violet
(@cresil)
Member Admin

first off do you have elder scrolls 4:oblivion for comp and if yes you can use the game mod tools for practice before you really go to actuley make a game from scratch it's kinda like a realy fucking detailed lego set (drag, drop, script, create, done ^^ )

Mmmm Oblivion is so much fun <3 - you can see the kind of fun I had with it from the Oblivion video I posted on yiffthis.com under Non-SL videos. 😉

Posted : 28/09/2010 10:18 pm
Cylinix
(@cylinix)

There's a program out there called GameCore that you can get for free which is pretty much what the pros use. Obviously it will take a little playing around with to get used to. Also I'm not sure the capabilities it has for RPGs it seemed more like it was made for FPS/RTS games. Figured I'd toss it out anyways. 🙂

--This vehicle is a lemon.

Posted : 11/10/2010 8:47 am
Keres Clawtooth
(@keres-clawtooth)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here's a game engine I just found this week that I'm trying out to make a game with a friend:
http://unity3d.com/

Here's one of the concept arts for the game:

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4438703/

It's Rape Keres Day!!!!
Keres' FurAffinity go!

Posted : 25/10/2010 6:43 pm
Share: