Art and Artist Chat!

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

So we have the music, the tech, and the gaming forums...but we're distinctly lacking in art discussions! :O This must be fixed!

So here is where artists and fans can get together and talk about art: techniques, critiques, suggestions, lessons, software, sharing, buying and sellings!

Like with most of my other topics, this is designed to be a very broad thread that might end up split into multiples depending on the direction the thread goes. In particular, a separate thread for SL-related art/modeling, but we'll see how that goes. 🙂

Please note: be civil with discussions and do not use this thread for calling out artists you don't like. If you ask for critique, accept it gracefully even if its negative, and if you give critique, be tactful and honest. I know we're all sensitive about our work, but you gotta learn to take some abuse to get better 🙂

Posted : 19/09/2010 3:19 pm
SethPup
(@sethpup)
Eminent Member

Hmm, this topic seems a bit too broad to get any sort of discussion going XD I think this would make a good sub forum though.

Posted : 21/09/2010 6:39 am
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hmm, this topic seems a bit too broad to get any sort of discussion going XD I think this would make a good sub forum though.

It may be true D: I didn't give enough of a jumping off point, either. Meant to upload a few sketches I did last weekend and ask for some comments or something, but none of its furry so I didn't think it'd be all that great to start a thread with.

Becoming a subforum will be up to Cresil, and there's gotta be a need for it too.

Posted : 21/09/2010 9:41 am
SethPup
(@sethpup)
Eminent Member

Well hey, if we need something to start from, I'll post a picture I just doodled today.

If you're confused, visit the journal link in the description of the picture on FA XD

Posted : 21/09/2010 1:52 pm
Van Ishikawa
(@van-ishikawa)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Well hey, if we need something to start from, I'll post a picture I just doodled today.

If you're confused, visit the journal link in the description of the picture on FA XD

International House of Penis XP

This is a bit of a stretch of topic shift, but you mentioned in the picture about it maybe being an art meme. What do you(meaning everyone who reads this!) think about memes on FA and other places? About a week ago there was this huge commotion about the vulva meme for...I don't know what reason, but it sure got people upset! :haw: How much value do memes add? Is it a way to build an art community or just some idol worship and uncreative repetition run amok?

Personally, my biggest issue is with calling it a meme (if you call it a meme its not a meme! D<). I still don't really like them, just feels like riding a popularity wave.

One more thing, I love the sketch, its so cute X3 so don't take this as me ragging on your work or nothin!

Posted : 21/09/2010 2:20 pm
SethPup
(@sethpup)
Eminent Member

International House of Penis XP

This is a bit of a stretch of topic shift, but you mentioned in the picture about it maybe being an art meme. What do you(meaning everyone who reads this!) think about memes on FA and other places? About a week ago there was this huge commotion about the vulva meme for...I don't know what reason, but it sure got people upset! :haw: How much value do memes add? Is it a way to build an art community or just some idol worship and uncreative repetition run amok?

Personally, my biggest issue is with calling it a meme (if you call it a meme its not a meme! D<). I still don't really like them, just feels like riding a popularity wave.

One more thing, I love the sketch, its so cute X3 so don't take this as me ragging on your work or nothin!

I take no offense ^^ I think memes can be fun, but can also get annoying depending on what they are and how popular they are (ie: you seem them get posted constantly). I'm not sure what the big deal was about the vulva meme. I didn't even see that many pictures of it.

I think an IHOP meme would be funny and random XD I really want to see if I can get it picked up to the point where no one knows the origin of it.

Posted : 21/09/2010 3:08 pm
Share: